Saturday, March 21, 2009

Remote console monitoring using screen

I wanted something like VNC for console. Had no clue whether such software did exist at all. In fact I did not expect to find any. I made a post at LQ and found not just one, but a bunch of them

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/looking-for-console-monitoring-application-713280/

It was really shocking to discover that such a common application like screen had this feature and I never knew. I did help my client. Now I found a better use. I am running rtorrent session on one of my computer. Usually, I go upstairs and check the status. Now, I can run it in a screen session, ssh to the machine, connect to the running screen session using screen -x and view the status. Just makes me think how many such unexplored features will be there in each of the programs that we use daily!

No comments: